Crochet Christmas ornaments
What’s more Christmassy than a tree decorated by yourself? With these crochet Christmas bells your tree will be beautiful and sound very cheerfully, as they have real sleigh bells.
You can crochet these bells and their bows in different colors and sizes, so they fit your home’s style during Christmas time. You can also use them for garlands, to decorate the table or anything you can think of!
Here you will find the written pattern and a video tutorial. The video is in Spanish, but you can use it to see how the different steps are done in case you have doubts when reading the pattern.
- Yellow (or copper color), red and green yarn
- 3.5mm or 2.5mm crochet hook (depending on your yarn weight and the bell size you want. For the yellow ones I used a 3.5mm hook and for the copper ones a 2.5 hook)
- Tapestry needle
- Sleigh bells
Rd: round Sc: single crochet Inc: increase Sl St: slip stitch Dc: double crochet Hdc: half double crochet *…*: repeat the sequence till the end of the round (…): number of stitches you should have at the end of the round
It is crocheted it in continuous rounds. Rd 1: With yellow yarn, 6sc into a magic ring (6) Rd 2: *inc* (12) Rd 3: 12sc (12) Rd 4: *1sc, inc* (18) Rd 5- Rd 8: 18sc (18) Rd 9: *inc* (36) Fasten off
Bow (upper side)
- Using red or green yarn, make a magic ring. Make a sl st in it and ch3
- Make 2 extended double crochet stitches into the ring (that means that you need to wrap your yarn twice around your hook, like when you are going to make a treble, insert you hook into the ring, yarn over, pull through the first two loops, yarn over and pull through the remaining three loops). Ch3.
- Sl st and ch 3
- Make 2 extended double crochet into the ring and ch3.
- Sl st, cut the yarn and pull the thread of the magic ring to close the gap.
It is crocheted in flat rows. Using the same yarn you used for the bow’s center, ch12. Rd 1: From 2nd ch from hook, 1dc, 1hdc, 7sc, 1hdc, 1dc. Sl St and fasten off.
Tie this string to the back of the bow and you are done!
– Sew the bow to the top of the bell
Now, we have two options to attach the loop that will be used to hang them from the tree.
1) without the sleigh bell: if you don’t want the bell to sound, take some yellow yarn, make a loop and tie both ends together. With the crochet go through the bell from the top, take the loop you just made and pull, so the knot stays inside the bell.
2) with a sleigh bell: If you want to hear the bell ring, repeat the steps in option 1, but leave a longer end, where we will attach the sleigh bell.
And that’s it! I hope you like it and that you have a wonderful Christmas, full of love and good moments. ¡Merry Christmas!
Let me know if you like them, if you have crocheted them or if you have any suggestions for new tutorials.
Big hugs and Merry Christmas!
PS: The bow’s pattern has been adapted from a French blog.